Spire: First Legal Siri Port For iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch, iPad 1 Now Available On Cydia
A new Siri port has legally emerged from Grant Paul (chpwn), Steven Troughton-Smith and Ryan Petrich, called Spire. Installing on older iPhone, iPod Touch running iOS 5 or iOS 5.0.1 is possible.
As we reported yesterday is here, but not i4Siri. A new Cydia tweak has released now as Spire its leagl. The port has been deemed as stable when install Siri on iDevices unlike H1Siri, which is legal to use and came with bugs.
This Cydia jailbreak tweak “Spire” requires the following jailbroken devices on iOS 5: iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS, and iPad 1 before installtion, which is now available from Cydia store.
The Siri port is compatible with the following devices:
- iPhone 4G
- iPhone 3GS
- iPod Touch 4G
- iPod Touch 3G
- iPad 1
Spire is available in Cydia as a 100MB download, will require a proxy, and info from an iPhone 4S to operate, as chpwn details:
However, Spire is not a complete solution. Apple still requires authorization to use Siri, so information from an iPhone 4S is still required. To insert this information, Spire allows you to enter your own proxy server address. I’ve put up a list of my ideas on how you might get access to a proxy; hopefully you can figure something out.
Spire uses a new method to obtain the files necessary for Siri, so it doesn’t have the copyright issues encountered by previous attempts. Similarly, rather than directing all traffic through a specific proxy server (and the associated privacy issues), Spire allows you to specify your own proxy server.
Steve Troughton-Smith quoted that this is the best Siri port until the iPhone 4S is jailbroken, and when that that happens, the proxy server issues can be avoided.
To get a Siri proxy, chpwn explains:
- westbaer’s SiriProxy fork
- Own an iPhone 4S too : Maybe you already own an iPhone 4S, and just want Siri on another device of yours. This is simple; you can just use the above proxy yourself.
- Find a friend : Maybe your friend has an iPhone 4S and will let you use their authentication tokens (maybe in exchange for some cool SiriProxy plugins). Then, you can share the authentication. Or, maybe you gave your relative your old iPhone when you gotyour iPhone 4S: now you can share your token and give them Siri.
- Pay up : It’s very likely that soon we will see for-pay services online to rent you some space on a Siri proxy, attached to one of their iPhone 4S devices. I haven’t seen anything like this yet, but I’ll keep my eye out, and I would encourage anyone who is interested to set something like this up.
- And now for something completely different : As I suggested earlier, you might be able to replace Siri entirely. A simple method might be to use Google Chrome’s speech “API” hooked up to some code to decode the Siri requests and parse Google’s result. Or, someone could hook it up to some logic backends like many of the clones available on Andoid: the possibilities are endless.
Users who are on jailbroken iOS 5 devices can now able to download Spiral directly from Cydia right now!
Well! if you are eager to get Siri ported on your iPhone, iPhone 3GS, iPad, iPod Touch 4G, then try Spire, or wait till iPhone 4S jailboken? To install Spire package, simply head over to Cydia, search for “Spire”, and install it. You don’t need to add any new repo as it is available on Cydia’s default BigBoss repository.
Update: Pod2g’s iOS 5.0.1 Untethered jailbreak released
Update 2 : How to jailbreak iS 5.0.1 untethered using Cydia tweak called “Corona 5.0.1 untether” posted here
Update 3 : Here’s the full guide on how to untethered jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 using Redsn0w 0.9.10b1 on Windows and Mac