Today, Sony has announced the roll out of Android 4.4.4 update for the Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet. Started already, but the rolling new software will reach your particular device after some time now, depending on where you are and if you bought a carrier-customized unit of not.
Sony although released the PS4 Remote Play app on Google Play Store to support PlayStation 4 Remote Play on the Xperia Z3 series of smartphones and tablet. At the same time it also mentioned about both the Z2 and the Z2 Tablet will get PS4 Remote Play functionality, following in the footsteps of the Z3 family.
However, starting today, Sony has begun rolling out a Android 4.4 (v23.0.1.A.0.167) update for these devices that brings Hi-Res audio playback and several new features. From now, the smartphone and tablet will be able to act as a remote screen and to connect to and control your games on the PlayStation 4 console.
With the 4.4.4 KitKat update, the Z2 series also receives support for playback of PCM and DSD audio files via 3.5mm jack, in addition to the USB Hi-Res playback.
New Android 4.4.4 (v23.0.1.A.0.167) features for the Sony Xperia Z2 and Z2 Tablet
- PS4 Remote Play support for Xperia Z2 and Xperia Z2 Tablet with full DUALSHOCK 4 Wireless Controller compatibility
- Support for built-in (via 3.5mm audio jack) Hi-Res Audio playback from both PCM and DSD files, in addition to the USB Hi-Res playback.
- WALKMAN app gets Sony’s DSEE HX technology, enhancing the sound of MP3, AAC or Music Unlimited tunes
- Support for Xperia Camera apps; Sound Photo, AR fun, Multi camera and Face in.
- Ultra STAMINA Mode ( upgraded version of Stamina Mode)
Smart screen rotation prevents unwanted rotations, while the new Record screen feature lets you do just that – record a video of what you’re doing on the screen. Support for Bluetooth Unlock with SmartBand, SmartBand Talk and SmartWatch 3 and more also added and to remind you once again, the update is rolling out to users globally.