Nokia’s latest HERE Maps for Android was launched in beta last month, now that the app has got an update which took its version to 1.0.220 bringing Android 5.0 Lollipop support. Alongside the latest inclusions, the updated version of HERE Maps app brings fixes to downloaded voice files that will not be cleared if the phone’s cache is swiped using a cleaner. If you lose them during cleaning, you’ll have to re-download any non-English voices.
Although it has finally received a pretty important update, one that adds support for Android Lollipop and HERE for Android has been downloaded almost 1 million times. Talking about the update to the HERE Maps beta, it brought best enhancements under-the-hood which should ultimately make HERE “a more stable travel companion.”
Now available from HERE.com website in the form of APK file. The update would also be initiated for Samsung Galaxy Apps Store as well soon, say HERE.
According to a blog post, Nokia said:
With Android Lollipop being released earlier this week and knowing how many of you love to have the latest software on your phone, we made sure that HERE for Android plays nicely with it. We fixed the bug that stopped the application from starting and we are looking forward to hearing what early fans of Android Lollipop think about HERE for Android.
You can also report bugs and other feature suggestions using this app. Once the app is stable enough, it would be released on Google Play store to download.
HERE Maps Beta for Android Features and Improvements
- Offline navigation: Interactive maps and turn-by-turn voice guidance are still available even without an internet connection.
- Maps to download and to use offline for nearly 100 countries.
- Public transport maps and directions for over 800 cities in over 40 countries, also when you’re offline.
- Live traffic info for more than 40 countries.
- Plan your journey on beta.here.com, then find your way there using your mobile.
- Personalize your map by creating Collections of your favorite places.
- Share your location with family and friends in real-time as you go via Glympse.
In addition, there’s an improvement in this beta for the app’s voiced turn-by-turn navigation feature. Nokia said:
We’ve now ensured that the downloaded voice files are kept safe and sound. The fix means that you will have to redownload any non-English voices. But they won’t accidentally disappear anymore if you’re using a ‘cache cleaner’ app on your smartphone.
Mobile users with non-Galaxy handsets running Android 4.1 or later can get an .apk file from the official HERE website, and then install it. Find out more at the source links below.
Source: HERE blog, HERE for Android beta download, Samsung Galaxy Apps