Dual-Boot Windows 8 and Windows 7 – How to Side-by-side
How to: Dual Boot Windows 8 and Windows 7 (Installed) . I have already Installed Windows 8 (Clean) and already covered How to Install Windows 8 from USB Drive. now, i am trying to Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 in the same Drive.
We can Triple Boot Windows 8, Windows 7 and Ubuntu side-by-side . For this you will need to create a new Partition for Windows 8 and Install Win 8 into that new Partition and edit your new Boot menu, so that your Windows 7 stays as Default OS.
Steps – Dual Booting of Windows 8 and Windows 7
Step 1 – First of all make a backup of your Data
To Dual Boot, you will need to create some space for this new Windows 8 on your Hard Drive (at least 20GB) of free space will be required. For that and to Create New Partition Space, just go to Windows Disk Management to set partition, for that you:
* Open the Start Menu
* Now Right Click on My Computer -> Manage , so that the Window Display in the Sidebar (Disk Management) just click on it.
* You System Hard disk graphical list appears in the Bottom panel. Now Right Click on it and then Click “Shrink Volume”.
* Just Shrink it to 20GB of space and Click OK.
* Now Click on the “Unallocated” block of that Hard Drive that appears and click “New Simple Volume”.
* Click Next on the next few windows until you get to the “Format Partition” window.
* Rename the Unallocated Volume name with “Windows 8″ so that you can easily recognize.
Now you are all set to Install Windows 8 on that Partitioned Drive (Windows 8).
Step 2 – Install Windows 8 from USB or DVD
* Download Windows 8 Developer Preview ISO Image
* Burn it with PowerISO or Imgburn and burn it to a thumb drive.
* You can also Install Windows 8 from USB , if you do not have a DVD Drive oin your System.
* Make sure your Computer is set to Boot CD/DVD or USB in your Installation Media, and Reboot your Computer.
* When Prompted “P ress any Key to Boot from DVD “, then hit a key (Example: Enter) on your Keyboard.
* Now you should boot right into the Windows 8 Installer , and looks similar to Windows 7 Installation.
* Choose your Language and Hit Install Windows 8 (Install Windows )”.
* It shows two options ” Upgrade” and Custom Install “, choose Custom.
* Now it takes you to the Partition section from which you must decide, on which Drive you want your Windows 8 to Install/Boot.
* Choose Created Windows 8 Drive , and click on Next, so that Installer do the rest of the thing.
* Your Windows Installation continues and Reboots several times.
After Reboot, Installer will greet you with the Windows 8 Start Screen , and you have to Choose a Windows Live ID there and make sure you have access to your Email and can confirm your Computer.
Step 3 – How to Set Windows 7 as Default OS (Optional)
Actually, this will b e not required, but when you first boot up into Windows 8 that you’re presented with a new graphical boot menu that’ll let you choose between your Windows 7 and Windows 8 installations.
Then you can see that your Windows 8 is a default OS for your Machine. Keep it if you like or can also be changed that option by manually choosing Windows 7 as default from the Menu. To make/Set your Windows 7 default os:
* Click on the Bottom on the Boot Menu that says” Change Defaults or Choose Other Options”,. Now hit “Choose the Default Operating System”.
* You just choose and hit on Windows 7 from that Menu. So that from now your Computer will boot into Windows 7 by Default.
This is it, we have successfully Dual Boot Windows 7 and Windows 8 side-by-side . My Next Post will be on Topic ” How to Dual Boot windows 8 and Ubuntu ” and How to ” Triple Boot Windows 8, Windows 7, and Ubuntu Linux “.